Re: [Gnumed-devel] Australian development of Open Source Practice Manage

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Australian development of Open Source Practice Management Software
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:58:30 +0100

On Donnerstag 06 März 2008, Armin Marth wrote:
> Hi, my name's Armin Marth and I work for an Australian medical
> practice software vendor, providing tech support to medical practices
> on the national help-desk and on-site. Recently I have been been made
> aware of some limitations of proprietary software, and I would like to
> help in anyway I can in the development of open-source in the medical
> industry in Australia.
>
> I have formal knowledge in IT support on Windows, training in Linux
> and Basic Programming and inside-out knowledge on how users (practice
> managers / receptionists /  secretaries/ doctors) use practice
> management systems along with the standards and the process of dealing
> with Medicare Australia, Department of Veteran Affairs and Health
> Funds.
>
> I hope that my day to day use and contacts can help with development
> for GnuMed to be used in Australia, and I believe that now, whilst
> rolling out Easyclaim (Medicare EFTPOS), is the best window of
> opportunity for this platform to grow.
>
> Refer to the discussion from the Sydney Linux User Group (SLUG) which
> I've uploaded on http://www.freewebs.com/gnumed-aus
>
> I speak on behalf of myself as an individual and not as an employee of
> any practice management software companies for my own interests and
> the interests of the community.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

As Richard pointed out there are local contacts in Australia. It has always
been communicated from our community members in Australia that GNUmed in
Australia would have to be an all or nothing solution.

Following those requirements GNUmed seems not to be suited for Australia. If
however you would like to take a look yourself and judge from what is there
and still needs to be done to suit your needs you are welcome to have a look
at

http://wiki.gnumed.de

Feel free to come back with any question you might have. Richard has done work
on laying down requirements for Austrila back then. We would very much
appreciate it if you found the time to add information to our Wiki on what is
a minimal feature set for Australia.

Here in German we use GNUmed alongside established programs without much
hassle.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert