Re: [Gnumed-devel] automatic rebuild of live-cd

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] automatic rebuild of live-cd
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:45:54 -0700

On 19-Apr-08, at 8:18 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
I still don't see anyone using this on a regular basis. If you want to do this
you can always install the CD on your harddrive.

Not sure whether, by the above, you are asking about anyone using (or re-using) a LiveCD at all, or if you are only asking about the ability of other machines to connect to the one that is hosting the database.

As far as people using or re-using a LiveCD at all, I think that the main value of a LiveCD would be for individuals to carry one or more with them and to be able to distribute them. Armed with one, I could reboot any convenient machine instead of having to everywhere carry my laptop and could, for example at the hospital where I most often would run across GPs (certainly more often than in their personal offices) be able to show them GNUmed. The same would be true at gatherings where people shown GNUmed could take away and easily further examine the *identical* version of GNUmed to what they had just seen.

I would agree that multiple people connecting to a LiveCD host is a more limited use case. I would see it as beneficial over the person who would aim to do a demo having pre-installed an older (or newer) version than what is available on the most current LiveCD. ---> In a setting where multiple doctors had brought computers, it would be nice for them to be able to witness concurrent access and updating of a same current patient's information, which other systems do not do or may not do as well, *and* to take home with them a LiveCD version that functions *identically* to what they had just seen.