[Gnumed-devel] Re: What happened to gnumed.conf?

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: What happened to gnumed.conf?
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 02:34:21 -0700

On 5-Sep-08, at 2:04 AM, James Busser wrote:

Mine for 0.2.8.10-1 contains only

[preferences]
profile = public GNUmed database (address@hidden)
login = any-doc

I did just note on

        http://salaam.homeunix.com/bin/view/Gnumed/ServerInstallUpgrade

From here, you can proceed to Starting GNUmed for which you may need to modify the gnumed.conf file of the GNUmed client to enable it to find your newly created backend.The easiest way to do this is - as root - copy the /etc/gnumed/gnumed-client.conf file to /home/ user/.gnumed/gnumed.conf. Then log in as that user and start GNUmed.

it is just that I did not recall a decision to strip the other configs out of the client. I can understand that it *would* cut down on befuddlement by those users who did not understand why they could be allowed to select something (local) which did nothing when they did have a client, but no database.

If we leave it this way we would only need to ensure that a LiveCD had both a local database and a suitable gnumed.config because the LiveCD is already slow enough we should save people the agony of CD- based booting combined with swap file in RAM combined with a distant, limited-resource public server connection.