Re: [Gnumed-devel] I need some direction.

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] I need some direction.
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:10:47 +0200

> > I would like to hook up a Fujitsu scanner and scan and archive, death
> > records and other patient data so the paper records can eventually be
> > destroyed and maintain the ability to search and print various records
> > archived to the system.
GNUmed is perfectly capable of that. In fact, that was the first use case
implemented.

Exactly what for and how would you like to "search for records" ? GNUmed
certainly
wont be less functional than searching in a treeware archive but we may be able
to suggest specific metadata to add to imported scans and how to search for
that.

> Search for a record is an open issue. All images are associated to each
> unique
> patient. It is important to supply some metadata when you import/index the
> files or else it will be very hard.
IF you want to search by metadata, that is. If all you want is to search for
docs by patient
- no problem at all.

> In a second step you might want to look for abby finereader ocr software
> for
> linux which might be used ocr the image and import the text along with the
> image.
That helps. Adding a good comment during import helps, too.

> >  1) the required third-party Python modules installed
> >  2) the GNUmed Python modules linked or installed into site-packages/
> >     (if you do not run from a CVS tree the installer should have taken
> care
> > of that) 3) your PYTHONPATH environment variable set up correctly
> >
> > sys.path is currently set to:
> >
> >  /usr/share/python-support/gnumed-client/Gnumed/wxpython
> >  /usr/lib/python25.zip
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload
> >  /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gst-0.10
> >  /var/lib/python-support/python2.5
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0
> >  /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode

That very first path makes me think you might have CDed to that directory and
run gnumed.py directly from there ?

> There is a directory missing if you installed through synaptic. I miss
>
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/GNUmed

Or rather .../Gnumed (note the caps)

> so your installation looks incomplete.
yep