[Gnumed-devel] re: newest apt preferences and apt-cache policy results (

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] re: newest apt preferences and apt-cache policy results (suitable for lenny)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:44:39 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, James Busser wrote:

The new version of the preferences file fixes these two problems. Unfortunately the Package field seems to understand neither wildcards nor regular expressions and thus the other packages had to be added individually.

Yes.  This ia a *very* annoying constraint of this pinning - I hate it myself!

While it is true we could omit the gnumed-specific pinning and instead (from the command line) simply do
 apt-get install -t testing gnumed-client
a preferences file placed in /etc/apt/ on each worker's machine in a praxis would allow an admin user (either a sudoer or someone trusted to know a common root password for the praxis *desktop* machines) to update the gnumed client by using Synaptic and that way not even have to go into a terminal session.

Yes.

If you are running lenny, try this preference file and then from a terminal as sudo or root run
        apt-cache policy
and it will hopefully work as described :-)

Here is what you get if you pin only gnumed-client to testing:

As you described yourself correctly: You need to pin all gnumed-*
packages explicitely.

PS to Andreas I never run as root without remembering your warning, I only just created this VM and did not yet get my regular user added to sudoers :-)

;-))

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--