Re: [Gnumed-devel] Windows distribution

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Windows distribution
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:02:03 -0700

On 27-Mar-09, at 4:22 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

Hi all,

We currently have two options to distribute GNUmed to potential users on the
Windows platform.

I have a version of the installer that stuffs everything into gnumed.exe and
does not need python or the like installed in the system

Another version checks for a valid version of python, wxpython or the likes
and installs it ( it is shipped inside the installer)

Maybe the first approach (version) is suitable for:

        "Try it! (Windows)"

I would propose that clicking on the above would not cause immediate download, but would instead bring the user to a page or a page section that points out that:

... this version is easiest to try but, at 22Mb, is large and not updatable. Entire, newer replacement versions would need downloading.

... if you do try this version and decide you would like to follow GNUmed forward through its updates, we suggest that, next time, you try the updatable version <link to>.

Maybe the second approach (version) could be

        "Use it! (Windows)"

with its own associated comments:

... this version supplies GNUmed as a collection of "parts", enabling you to download smaller updates as you desire. A simpler (but larger) all-in-one Windows .exe is available as <link to>.