[Gnumed-devel] Other FLOSS EMRs and GNUmed (from a Canadian context)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Other FLOSS EMRs and GNUmed (from a Canadian context)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 23:02:10 -0800

I felt like doing a current-state update.

In Canada, OSCAR EMR is the only obviously-in-use free EMR.

OSCAR EMR is, at this stage, a much broader (more fully-featured) solution than
is GNUmed, providing (among other things):

1) appointment-making and

2) billing support in at least two out of ten Canadian provinces: in Ontario –
OSCAR's province of origin – and British Columbia ("BC").

OSCAR has had some additional adoption in provinces in which billing may not
yet be supported… though I am less clear on how such users manage their billing
alongside OSCAR.

Accordingly there is, on the one hand, appreciation for what OSCAR has
achieved, and a worry whether a less-fully featured EMR (as currently GNUmed
stands) risks being too easily dismissed. Even despite that I found a billing
program in my province of BC that will crudely interoperate with a
not-yet-in-production GNUmed.

On the other hand, not everyone fully implement OSCAR (or any EMR) for all of
what it *could* do.

Some groups choose a combination of old methods and/or OSCAR alternatives, plus
part of OSCAR.

At least one doctor in BC (near retirement) maintains a paper practice, while
using OSCAR "on the side" for medication management. He finds an EMR
tremendously helpful just to:
1) maintain the information of what a patient is *supposed* to be taking and
2) printing an authorization (a prescription) for any combination of new
medication, adjusted medication, and renewed medication

I understand that OSCAR's appointment-making was built on a blueprint that
well-suited the practice around which OSCAR was modelled. This may less-well
suit other approaches to appointment-making. However, it has required groups to
adapt their appointment-making workflows to conform to OSCAR's requirements.
There is an inevitability to do so, when it is a precondition to be able to use
the billing as implemented in OSCAR or in any other EMR where billing is
dependent to be "fed" from the entity "appointments". The alternative would be
for the billing module to be fed from an alternative set of billable items as
could be achieved, say, from:

        encounters as services
        events within encounters (say, "procedures") as services
        events after encounters (say, "reports") as services
                (capturable perhaps as a different encounter type)
        supplies consumed by – or provided to – patients

The above makes me think that whether it would be GNUmed – or maybe better
sanely some other software – the most flexible (and therefore potentially
widely-applicable) billing approach would be a rather MIRTH-like-BILLER, in the
sense that it could accept multiple inputs. Even a single EMR could send
multiple data streams (outputs) to the MIRTH-like-BILLER, where the aggregate
of the source EMR's outputs could represent a sum total of billable items for
that praxis.

At the downstream end, the MIRTH-like-BILLER could work as follows. Based on a
series of known definitions ("rules") of what each
financially-responsible-agency (FRA) sets as preconditions for payment, the
MIRTH-like-BILLER could flag deficient or rules-failing records, and flag these
for iterative attention by the billing party. This the MIRTH-like-BILLER would
also do for remittance information (acceptance or refusal of payment) which had
been received back from the various FRAs.

There is some talk of whether the US VistA RPMS would be able to use the
billing functionality that exists within OpenEMR in this sort of way. Also, I
think Fred Trotter is contemplating to write some new billing program from
scratch. The US stands to offer Fred as good or better economy of scale as he
could achieve anywhere else. If a business case could be made to develop
something, then maybe Canadian billing could work as an add-on.