[Gnumed-devel] Drug dosage adjustment in renal failure

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Drug dosage adjustment in renal failure
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:20:34 -0800

Systematic comparison of four sources of drug information regarding adjustment
of dose for renal function
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmj;331/7511/263

They assessed four references, on 100 drugs:

> We further examined how drugs that required no adjustment according to one
> source were categorised by a second source (table 4). The differences were
> remarkable—for example, 11 drugs (26%) out of 43 for which the BNFrecommended
> no adjustment were categorised by Martindale as requiring it (dexamethasone,
> prednisone, methylprednisolone, hydrocortisone, paracetamol, amiodarone,
> promethazine, isosorbide mononitrate, isosorbidedinitrate, progesterone,
> loratadine).
> In seven instances (six drugs) a drug that required no adjustment according
> to one source was categorised as contraindicated in patients with impaired
> renal function by a second source (table 4).

What is the FD source of "truth" ... I am having trouble finding anything at
Dialysis Clinics international (DCI) if that is what FD "DCI" means...

I also found no data file, but:

Dalhousie University Drug Information Resources
http://dir.pharmacy.dal.ca/renal.php

From Clinical Pharmacology Department, Christchurch Hospital, New Zealand
http://www.rphworld.com/pharmacist/viewlink-25463.html

Clinician's Ultimate Reference