Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on multiple OS ... is it possible ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on multiple OS ... is it possible ?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:35:56 +0200

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 07:26:51PM -0300, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

> > You could dedicate a partition the data directory of postgres, mount that
> > partition in each distro (not at the same time) and tell eack postgres
> > (Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu about that data directory). I once used data file
> > created on Linux in a Windows postgres but it is not recommended.
> > Windows XP does not know UTF-8 for the locale so you would have to live
> > with
> > locale C on Linux and Windows.
> >
> What if I DO make it locale C ... do I lose my accents and cedile?

I don't think so but I won't give any guarantuees. It is not
at all recommended.

> When you say it is not recommended do you have in mindo something bad like
> loss of data or just troublesome/hard to do?

Since sharing PostgreSQL data files between Linux and
Windows is neither an intended, nor recommended or tested
PostgreSQL use case no one knows what subtle problems may
crop up. I wouldn't want to be the first to find out. Not in
an EMR.

Your safest bet is to ask on the PG mailing list.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net