[Gnumed-devel] Junior Job to make PG on Windows more visible

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Junior Job to make PG on Windows more visible
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:54:26 +0200

Hi all,

Today I have a for anyone on the Windows platform who wants to make GNUmed
more user friendly.

The job involves some Windows scripting and will bring the beauty of Postgres
to the Windows platform.

Here is what I have in mind

1) an icon in the status bar that will signal the Postgres status
2) same icon in the status bar that will bring up a context menu on right-
click for starting, stopping postgres, configuring postgres (access the config
files, changing the port PG is running on.

I have a running prototype here done in autoit which needs to be polished
and/or extended.

This little gem will not only benefit GNUmed users but all PG users as well.
Another added benefit will be that starting/stopping a portable PG
installation from an external drive such as USB-drive or SSD will be way more
accessible.

I have code to integrate this with the PortableApps platform if you want to go
that far.

Let me know if you want to go for it so I can set you up with the code.

Sebastian