Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: FreeDiams freediams_0.4.2-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTE

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: FreeDiams freediams_0.4.2-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into Debian
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:17:55 +0200

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:03:37AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> However, FreeDIAMS and its ilk may contain another category
> of bugs which Debian didn't have to deal with yet. They are
> comparable to security bugs. Call them live-threatening bugs.

I was vaguely thinking about this. ;-)

> If a bug is found that will, say, calculate results which
> may then endanger patient's lifes if followed blindly there
> ought to be some way of doing something about it.
>
> Either pull the package from the archive and/or push an
> upgrade which demonstrably contains *just this one fix* -
> which I consider an important constraint and which is easily
> doable by using something like git branches.

In this case I would definitely ask security team for an update.  I
wonder whether we should discuss this now(ish) to be prepared once
the problem might become relevant in the (distant) future).

> This sort of thing is rather rare and warrants manual human
> consensus between authors, maintainers, and ftp-master.

I think you are right here.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

PS: To your and Jims other mail: No, nobody asked for handling FreeDiams
    differently - it was just a rhetorical question to make things more
    clear.

--
http://fam-tille.de