Re: [Gnumed-devel] organizations management

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] organizations management
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:45:34 +0200

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 09:05:23AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> > This shows the units-of-organizations likely to be used in
> > managing them. This is ordered by org-category, then
> > org-name, then unit-name.
> >
> > Note that this is not necessarily how GNUmed would present
> > such data for searching/selecting - just for maintenance.
>

> I am almost wondering if Category is (or can function as)
> orthogonal to the other information.

It sure is and, most importantly, granularity is entirely up
to the praxis using GNUmed.

> In your first example,
> you used "ward" by which I assume you mean one wing (or
> corridor) of one floor of one hospital inpatient unit.

Yep. They usually serve one speciality, have a bunch of
junior doctors doing all the work and one or a few
consultants being in charge of this, say, 20-bed part of the
hospital.

> Each
> hospital would have many such wards, making it seem that
> this is a semi-granular entity (below which is room and bed)
> and yet in this example it is at the top level "Category" as
> a "kind of thing" across, say, all hospitals?

Ah, no, that's just the way it is listed which got nothing
to do with how it's structured in the database.

It's (perhaps unfortunate) listed this way:

the top says "organizational unit"

first column: "category" (thereof)

So, it's a unit of category "ward".

Second column "organization" -> this being "Starfleet
Central" with the category *thereof* being appended in
parenthesis (hospital, that is).

Then, third column, name of the unit, in this case "Ward A2"
or whatever. Could have been "Friston Ward" etc.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net