Re: [Gnumed-devel] Free FotoFinder Replacement: MediSnap

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Free FotoFinder Replacement: MediSnap
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:52:16 +0100

> What I am less certain about is the case of images captured (photos) or
> generated (marked-up photos, sketches, mappings) by the doctor where the
> creation occurs in the praxis:

Those can be attached to episodes/encounters as "visual progress notes"
and managed in context (technically they would be documents of the type
"visual progress note" within GNUmed.

However, GNUmed does not (for good reason) offer builtin image editing
capabilities. For such it relies on external software, such as Gimp,
kolourpaint, shutter, or, lo and behold, it could rely on MediSnap.

> 1) What should determine whether such images should live in the GNUmed
> database or in MediSnap?

I would suppose it is up to the local user.

However, a hybrid approach comes to mind (I don't know whether that
would work):

GNUmed actually storing the original images. MediSnap being configured
to look for images in a certain directory. However, that directory is
actually empty. On demand GNUmed would actually export the image into
the appropriate place and call MediSnap (which would work as if the
image had been there all the time).

Under this scenario it would likely be helpful if MediSnap had a mode
to export images with modifications saved into them (markings etc) such
that GNUmed can have a annotated copy.