Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: current medication on kde, snapshot

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: current medication on kde, snapshot
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 10:32:06 +0200

I fully understand that the desire is to both use small
screens and still fully see bigger dialogs at the same time.

One fact needs to be remembered: GNUmed does not apply *any*
explicit sizing to any of its widgets except for

a) minimum size of the entire client

        This prevents people from sizing GNUmed to 1x1 and
        complaining that it does not run because they don't see
        it.

b) minimum size for all dialogs

        This is fairly small (100x100 or so) and ensures that
        dialogs are displayed at this minimum size rather than
        5x5 as by default.

c) minimum size of some of the dialogs

        This is not strictly necessary but has been added after
        people complained about scrollbars appearing when GTK
        chose a size for a dialog that was not large enough to
        fit inside that default size defined in b).

Remember that we started out with this dialog having been
complained about as being too *small* (we could have made it
smaller to fit on the screen but that's not a logical choice
if the undesirable property seems to be with scrollbars).

> I could visualise three options for resolving this problems
> 1. Reduce the vertical length of component field.

GNUmed cannot reduce the vertical length. It is a default
size chosen by GTK. I have added to my TODO to turn this
into a one-line text field which will then not be able to
show the full information but will have a tooltip that does.
This will reduce functionality (you don't see all components
of a multi-component drug at a glance) for the sake of a
somewhat smaller dialog ...

>    Add scroll bar if required.

There's no way to do that that I now of.

> 2. Put substance by the side of component in two column

- will make the dialog very wide
- or else will make both fields too small
  including their phrasewheel dropdowns
- disrupts the design principle of nearly-vertical
  workflow in edit areas that was carried over from
  Richard's design specs

> 3. Define the placement of right/left lower end of gui.

I am not sure I fully understand what you mean. Taken
literally this is simply not possible. GUI toolkits
typically anchor at the top-left (GNUmed lets the toolkit
use its default - and thus whatever you have configured as
the default for the theme !). The size extends to the right
and to the bottom and GNUmed, again, lets the toolkit use
its default (except for the minimum). If anchor + size goes
beyond the screen and the toolkit (GTK) doesn't do anything
about it - there's nothing GNUmed can do about that.

Except give the dialog a smaller minimum size.

But that being undesired was the origin of this entire thread.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de