Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication schema - how to represent concentration

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication schema - how to represent concentration
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 14:12:44 -0700

On 2011-09-04, at 12:08 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> but how shall I store entities like
>>
>>      13.7 g / 100 g (for example medication in creams)
>>
>>      50 mg / 5 ml (for example cough syrups)
>>
>> ??
>>
>> Shall I make
>>
>>      amount = 13.7
>>      unit = g / 100 g
>>
>>      amount = 50
>>      unit = mg / 5 ml

Sorry, my question was not how to store the instructions to the patient (in
substance_intake).

It was how to store in consumable_substances.

The values 'amount" and 'units' carry simple values only for solid forms like
tablets and capsules. Liquid forms (and some powders) require to express

        a certain amount of medication
in
        a unit of volume or weight of the product

e.g. aluminum hydroxide 165 mg per 5 mL

so there really is no other sane way of storing in consumable substance, other
than to put the 165 in the 'amount' and 'mg per 5 ml' in the 'unit'.

??

-- Jim