Re: [Gnumed-devel] Post 1.1 wishlist - include Hospitalization in EMR su

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Post 1.1 wishlist - include Hospitalization in EMR summary
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:01:22 +0100

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:18:02AM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> >     - better formatting options
> >     - a dedicated Patient Overview widget
> >             - for which I repeatedly solicited layout
> >               suggestions (I'm not going to devise one)
>
> What constraints would you like around any proposed design or layout, for
> example

At the design state I would not want to put forth
too many constraints just yet.

My design goals would be:

- one pane (whole top level notebook plugin
- giving the best possible synopsis of
        "what is the latest state of this patient's clinical problems"

> - the EMR tree provides a left pane and a right pane, whose splitter can be
> moved
> - the Notes provides 3 panes, whose splitters can be moved

Splitter are not out of the equation. Overdoing them
typically does more bad than good.

> Further, the Notes allows objects in a pane to have associated actions, for
> example
> - clicking a checkbox alters the relevant list filter
> - double-clicking a problem raises a new notelet tab

I would envision two types of drilldown from the synopsis:

- hovering tooltips more information
- selection (say within lists) displays more detail of
  the selected item in a "common details display area"

        This is VERY MUCH Richard's design which has NOT been forgotten
        but only now that we've got "enough" types of clinical data makes
        sense to put to use (IMO).

I do envision more complex interaction with individual items by

- right click context menu (say, adding)
- double click action (say, editing)

> A Patient Overview widget could take one of two approaches
> (1) one full-sized pane which pulls together a combination of information
> rather like what is currently produced by the EMR tree (right pane)
> (2) multiple panes
>
> I am inclined to think that multiple panes, each
> representing a 'kind' of information, might be the way to
> go. Where one of these kinds of information prompts an
> awareness to review or edit or add (in) more detail, maybe
> it would be possible to program an action to bring the user
> to a plug-in or to launch the equivalent of a menu item, if
> that would be feasible and sensible.

Yes, but all panes/lists/... within one notebook plugin.

However, my main question is the LAYOUT of said notebook
plugin. For that, Richard's design should be taken into
account.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de