Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics name 'Remove' not working (and other imp

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics name 'Remove' not working (and other improvements)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:33:20 +0000

On 2011-11-26, at 1:06 PM, Jim Busser wrote:

>       - relabel the button from 'Clone and Edit' to 'edit'
>       - relabel the resulting window title
>       - add a checkbox (default on)
>
>               [  ] keep listed a copy of the original names / spelling

Oops, I only now noted in the audit schema the deliberate omission of names. Is
that the best approach, to insist that all versions of names (even
misspellings) be preserved?

I can understand how, in the event of a patient's name being spelt differently
(even incorrectly) at a lab, it may be important to replicate and preserve such
"mistakes" in the praxis in order to assist matching. However, there is a
downside to *requiring* to keep incorrect spellings, namely that when miskeying
search terms, you are going to find patients who match the miskeyed search term
while missing the patients who did not possess this miskeyed term.

For example if I have two patients in the praxis

        Smith, Charles DOB Dec 12, 1954

        Smith, Charles DOB Dec 12, 1964

and if the second one had been created as

        Smoth, Charles DOB Dec 12, 1964

since corrected to

        Smith, Charles DOB Dec 12, 1964

then when I search

        Smoth, C

and when I get

        Smith, Charles DOB Dec 12, 1964

I have missed to find

        Smith, Charles DOB Dec 12, 1954

and I risk to mis-select the person I matched. I would rather be shown no
matches but would accept to keep misspelt names where these actually served a
purpose.

That is why I would offer a slight adjustment to my proposal:

        rename the Clone and edit button to Edit

        remove the proposed checkbox (the one whether to keep, or discard, the
old name)
        --> this way, the old name is kept by default

        BUT

        add Names to Audit

        enable the Remove button provided we add a confirmation dialog in which
it is pointed out that the old name is important to keep if it would be a name
that was used by any outside systems like in lab results.

??

-- Jim