Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some country names now accented - problem with generi

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some country names now accented - problem with generic
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:58:58 +0100

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:50:58PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> > Presently, my default country of Canada now displays (when creating new
> > persons) as
> >
> >     Canadá
>
> I have since determined the above to be a consequence of populating
>
>       i18n.translations
>
> with paired values
>
>       orig, translation
>
> (and setting the above as 'lang' type 'generic' ) as supplied in the
> Brazilian demographics source, which I imported as part of a data.
>

> I can easily delete that particular translation and only
> wonder what it means as far as the implementation of
> 'generic'. Does it mean that a praxis or a user should want
> to be able to choose whether or not to 'map' the language
> generic, perhaps in a configuration, or does it only mean
> that more caution is needed in the creation (import) of the
> 'translation source'

Unfortunately it means that I missed to consider this point
and that the generic translation target introduces an
undesired side-effect.

Point in case why minor version changes should be kept
extremely limited and best restricted to actual bug fixes.
I've been fairly liberal with applying changes to 1.1 and
that's what we get from doing so.

As it stands the generic translation target (and hence a
data pack for it) should only be applied if *really* needed.

I'll disable the "generic" target again - I've always said
this approach is a crutch at best - and it shows.

The proper approach, as outlined already, too, is to provide
an unaccent() function, identify those queries which would
benefit from it and apply the function as appropriate.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de