Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed-medication

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed-medication
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 01:04:50 +0000

On 2011-12-03, at 4:04 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> t is possible that a vaccination may have
>> to be prescribed...
>
> We can. We can write a prescription for "Tetanus vaccine"
> w/o specifying which.

Whether the above suffices can depend on whether the pharmacist can, on their
own, resolve ambiguity. It can be a case where the detail must exist somewhere
but the dcotor is excused form having to provide (or record) the detail.

> OTOH, .fake and component-less drugs are orthogonal concepts.

I believe it is possible (in the GNUmed GUI) to create component-less brands
that are either fake or non-fake. How does this difference (fake / non-fake)
affect GNUmed's handling?

>> 3) over in the vaccination area, the vaccination that is
>> entered *may* have been administered by a nurse or other
>> clinician in the praxis or may have been administered
>> elsewhere. Even in the case of a real brand which had been
>> prescribed (and which was maybe therefore entered into
>> 'current medications')
>
> It being a single dose it is more like a one-off procedure
> than a current medication. After all a patient is not "on" a
> vaccine.

We cannot dismiss the relevance of what was given (or not given) just because
the duration was as brief as a few tablets or a single tablet. Any one-time
treatment is like a procedure but even if we would elsewhere (say, in past
history) that a patient had a one-dose course of urinary tract infection
treatment or a single dose of abortifacient, we would wish to look in a GNUmed
medication history for what they actually took -- it would be a medication
having a date started and a dat discontinued on the same day. Similarly, if I
were interested to know whether or not a patient had had a low dose or high
dose dexamethazone suppression test, I would like to be able to look at the
medication history to answer the question.

-- Jim