Re: [Gnumed-devel] letterhead

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] letterhead
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:30:57 +0100

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 05:28:29PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> for any placeholder that fails to resolve -- you end up with a final document
> containing one or more instances of the equivalent of
>
>       <No placeholder value>

I need to precisely understand what would be your desired behaviour.

a) the string "No placeholder value" does not exist in the GNUmed source code

b) any placeholder that - technically - fails will resolve (if running
   with --debug) to one of:

        invalid placeholder [%s]
                - certain known error conditions

                or

        error with placeholder [%s]
                - unexpected error conditions

c) some placeholders will, when failing *to resolve to a value* return, say,

        no URL for comm channel [%s]

> which IMO does not look very professional.

I would be assuming you are referring to c) in the above ?

Please suggest a more professional result for placeholders
failing to resolve to a value. For the time being I will
modify the behaviour like so:

When running with --debug keep the current behaviour (return
"no URL for ..."). When NOT running with --debug return u''
instead (IOW, an empty value).

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de