[Gnumed-devel] appointment handling - options

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] appointment handling - options
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 23:32:26 +0100

Hi all,

Appointment handling inside an app such as GNUmed seems to be desired. I guess
this stems from the desire to schedule appointments from a patient plugin.

Anyway here are some thoughts on how to tackle this.

Most applications seem to reinvent this over and over again. Pretty soon you
have yet another calendar. Only this time it is running inside your
application. On top of it it does not communicate with other calendaring
solutions since the devs usually don't spend the time to implement syncing and
so on.

The way out could be to reuse an existing webbased solution. While technically
any third party calendaring solution would work a webbased solution could be
integrated into GNUmed (once 2.9.3 or higher is usable that is). A GNUmed
appointment plugin would just be a pane holding a website (the appointment
webinterface).

The caledarserver could be installed locally or offsite (or even Google
calendar). This would work already. One possible app would be LuxCal.

Ideally we would look for a solution that has some sort of API. This API is
then used to feed new appointments to the calendar from within GNUmed
programatically. Google calendar has such an API and could therfore serve as a
demo. However not many people would want to schedule their patients in a
Google calendar.

One local caledar server supporting this  is Bedwork [1]

A plus is that apart from the Bedework webinterface being embedded into GNUmed
one can access it from a Google calendar, iPhone, Mozilla calendar and more.

If you know of any other solutions apart from Bedeworks or Luxcal let me know.

It should have
a) a web interface
b) be installable cross platform
c) implement the calendaring standards