Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgresql considerations

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgresql considerations
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:27:35 +0200

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 06:04:09PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> I gather that the total amount of information requested can be the same,
> achieved through two different methods.

> Assuming however in a given case the total amount of information requested
> was 'just right". is it then a question *not* of whether the case is solved by
>
> one large query
> vs
> many larger queries
>
> but rather employing query syntax or methods that are "most efficient" ??

Wait, I misunderstood.

No, in fact, under the light of "just the right amount" the
"one large" query will win out over the "many small" queries
-- except if one adds "at the right time" to "just the right
amount". In case certain parts of the information can be
delayed to be fetched the many small queries may win.

I can fetch the whole EMR tree at once.

Or else I could fetch only the top branches and fetch leaf
information as branches are accessed (on demand, that is).

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de