Re: [Gnumed-devel] Timeline adjustment required

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Timeline adjustment required
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:58:09 +0000

On 2013-07-18, at 5:20 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

Even on Debian, there is a usability problem with the timeline

With help hinted from Karsten's questions, and bearing in mind I am now trying Debian KDE within a VirtualBox VM (on Mac),

- the reason that my lateral swiping caused a change in the displayed plugin was because I had not first clicked inside the Timeline display area … I am not sure to what extent a click on a plugin tab can, and should, set focus within the plugin.

Once I clicked inside Timeline to give it focus, I could display all of what had been out of view, as follows:

1) to better display what was positioned higher or lower on the screen, I needed to use the slider along the right edge of the plugin (I could not figure out any trackpad gestures to control this)

2) two-finger swiping "upward" caused the Timeline to shift leftward, thus displaying higher / future dates

two-finger swiping "downward" caused the Timeline to shift rightward, thus displaying older / past dates

Incidentally, just observed on my Mac Book Pro that

- when I click on a plugin, its name is surrounded by a dotted box and in this state I can move among the plugins using
arrow left (leftward)
arrow right (rightward)
function control arrow up (leftward)
function control arrow down (rightward)

however once I get to EMR Timeline, it is *not* surrounded by a dotted line, and I can "reverse" only as far as Documents, after which I cannot further navigate, or if I would have proceeded to "Reports" I would likewise be unable to move any further.

Once I click on SimpleNotes, I can continue to advance and jump "around" back to the first plugin

Maybe are there different kinds of "focus" on clicking some of these plugins that account for it?

-- Jim