Re: [Gnumed-devel] Inputting substances for as-yet-undefined indications

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Inputting substances for as-yet-undefined indications
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 20:39:32 +0000

On 2013-07-03, at 2:56 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>> If the patient asks me to re-prescribe (to "refill")
>> something that has been provided by someone outside the
>> praxis, it would be better that I can see in GNUmed that
>> no-one in the praxis has yet figured out exactly why the
>> patient is taking this substance. I would be more likely to
>> refuse to provide it in this circumstance, than if someone
>> else in the praxis estimated (absent having proper
>> information) what that external episode might be.
>
> We can always document that fact by using an episode
> "external care".

I accept the answer as covering the situation where an external clinician
initiated something for reasons unknown to us.

What, though, about non-prescription substances like

        alcohol
        street drugs
        multi-vitamins
        various supplements

… should the ability to document these depend on having to invent health
issues, or unattributed episodes, such as

        habit
        nutrition
        unknown

which then appear in the EMR problem list?

-- JIm