Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder handler

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder handler
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:42:08 +0200

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 06:08:04PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 04:04:10PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:
> >
> >> In GNUmed speak, is the placeholder handler the engine, or
> >> it is the gnumed code that passes the content of the
> >> placeholder over to the engine?
> >
> > I can't answer this question because I am not quite sure
> > what you mean by "the engine" ?
>
> http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GmManualLettersForms#Form_engines

Ah, OK, *form* engine.

Each type of form template has a class. That class is called

        c<TemplateType>Engine

where "engine" means "processor processing the template into
a form/document".

I chose "form" in order to distinguish paperwork which is
created ("filled in") from templates as opposed to paperwork
which comes in the form of (electronic or treewware)
documents. Of course, templates filled in with data (=
forms) eventually becomes a document being stored in the
document archive (if so desired ;-)

Back to your question, though:

The placeholder handler is quite orthogonal to any forms
engine. It is another class which receives a placeholder
(with arguments) and returns data, suitably processed
according to the arguments. In fact, the placeholder handler
doesn't even care where the placeholders and arguments
actually come from (they don't even need to come from the
same source).

I probably successfully increased the confusion ?

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de