Re: [Gnumed-devel] provider inbox

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] provider inbox
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 14:05:18 +0000

On 2014-08-23, at 12:28 PM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> The default provider inbox selection will now be
>
>       "show relevant messages"
>
> (which is now an additional radio button at the top).
>
> This will show messages which
>
>       - are due and not expired
>               or
>       - have no due date/expiry date
>
> Wether this listing constraints to the active patient depends
> on the user selection.

Sorry to only now be looking at the newest inbox labelling and behaviour.

1. a more usual (and clearer) sequence among these radio buttons would be

        All      Overdue        Due*    Scheduled      Unscheduled

        * - Due today … see #3 re "Relevant"

2. since Expired seems orthogonal to Scheduled, Unscheduled and Overdue, can
Expired be implemented, instead, among the check-boxes (like Active patient,
and Yours) and in this way combine with any of

        All
        Overdue
        Due
        Scheduled
        Unscheduled

??

3. re "Relevant"

I can understand the idea to filter out those items that are identifiable as
future-due (and, also, to filter out those which have expired, regardless of
their due date)

One challenge includes, by use of this word, the creation of ambiguity whether
these items have anything to do with the clinical relevance that could have
been assigned by some other clinician who had themselves signed the result
(which remains, however, in the inbox on account of being owned by the ordering
clinician)

Second, there is value to filter purely those items that are due today (which
could be events that are to happen today).

The combination "Due + Overdue" can be approximately achieved by selecting
Scheduled and simply sorting on the date Due column, which will cause
lower-interest future items to be at the bottom. While Expired events would be
included pending their deletion, their non-deletion could be for reasons of
relevance (i.e. they may still serve a purpose) which merits to keep them in
view.

Unscheduled items can easily be looked at on their own (or they can easily be
seen inside All, together with the Scheduled items).

Just realized that the Due column is not currently shown among the Inbox
columns, which makes it unavailable to sort on. But which would be really
helpful and probably essential to make the above refactoring work.

Except I do think that the above proposal would be helpful and would make
things a lot clearer for users (myself included)

-- Jim