gnump3d-devel

[Gnump3d-devel] Transcoding formats

From: Aaron Longson
Subject: [Gnump3d-devel] Transcoding formats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:38:58 -0800 (PST)

     Has anyone thought about transcoding formats in addition to
downsampling?  When downsampling, it's useful to be able to switch to
formats with higher quality for lower bitrates(mp3->ogg).  Since you're
downsampling anyway, the quality loss in switching formats is
negligible.
     I had an implementation, but I lost it on update.  It also didn't
work with plugins.  The logic was as follows:

     All songs in playlist are changed to new suffix(ie mp3->ogg).
This was necessary for xmms to correctly recognize the format.
     HTTP request for song with changed suffix comes in.
     If file exists, downsample normally.
     Else, check if file with alternative audio suffix exists.
     When file is found, note real suffix.
     Send file using command in config to transcode from real suffix to
requested suffix.

     Is there a better way of doing this?  Is anyone interested in this
functionally?

  Aaron