gnump3d-users

Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?

From: David Campbell
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:39:23 +0100

Steve Kemp wrote:
  I'd be sorry to never touch the project again, but at the same time
 I can't help thinking that most of the ideas I have for future
 development involve scary databases (even using sqlite) and that is
almost a complete u-turn from how things have been so far.
  ie. the current code makes use of no non-core modules and tries
 to be portable.   My ideas for work mostly involve removing lots of
custom code and replacing it with HTML::Template, DBI::SQLite, HTTP::Server, etc. That would make the code

    a)  Smaller

    b)  Simpler

    c)  Easier to understand, extend, and modify

  But the downside is that there would suddenly be major portability
 issues for windows people, as well as a bigger list of dependencies
 for the Linux/Unix people too.  Something that most people seem to
 be against.

I can't see why people would be worried about decencies as lightweight as Sqlite or additional Perl modules. I'd wager that that the vast majority of Gnump3d users install using emerge, apt, yum, yast, up2date or similar.

JAT

Dave