gnunet-developers

Re: Planning to continue working on Secushare

From: TheJackiMonster
Subject: Re: Planning to continue working on Secushare
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:29:02 +0200

Because the messenger service was mentioned I thought I could try to
clarify. I'm unsure if it's the proper back-end for secushare but
technically speaking you can just think of it as layer on top of CADET
to form groups using a shared secret without necessary centralization.

The latency and stability is not really optimized yet. The groups are
still using a circular topology to exchange messages. But there
shouldn't be huge bugs currently. Privacy should also not be a problem
with this service if you were using CADET previously. I've designed as
much as possible to be opt-in or optional like identity names, egos and
hosting.

So it's not really server-based because every member of a group can
opt-in to host. However peer-id and port have to be exchanged
externally. That's pretty much the reason I'm working on the chat
library to provide a simple API for messaging applications abstracting
the last pieces of networking.

If PSYC will be used it would probably make sense adding a new kind of
message to the messenger service for it. So you could use the service
parsing those messages only. Also other applications could easily drop
those as well.