gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] synthesis speed

From: D.R. Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] synthesis speed
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 17:11:12 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Lee,

On the NeXT, the original software could manage real time with longer tube lengths (15 cm or longer). The NeXT only ran a 6800x at max 33MHxz (Turbo) and a DSP 56000 signal processing chip for the actual tube -- essential for real-time performance. The DSP speed was the limiting factor.

These days processors go up to 3 or more GHz and include some very DSP-like instructions so a DSP is not needed. Just how fast the system will run depends on the processor speed. On my 1.6GHz Mac running OS/X 10.3 with the Mac version of the software it was several times faster than real time -- depends on optimisation, whether Altivec is used, etc.

I could give actual figures if necessary.

All good wishes.

david
---
David Hill, Prof. Emeritus, Computer Science  |  Imagination is more       |
U. Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 1N4       |  important than knowledge  |
address@hidden OR address@hidden   |         (Albert Einstein)  |
http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill             |  Kill your television      |