gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] a Kelly-Lochbaum TRM

From: Andras Kadinger
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] a Kelly-Lochbaum TRM
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 18:19:21 +0200

I listened to the gnuspeech demos a number of times over the years. I was always fascinated by the pleasant intonation and formant trajectories - but was quite put off by the unnatural, formant synthesizer-like timbre.

To rekindle the love, I hacked up a Kelly-Lochbaum TRM in Java: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzAnkDki8SU

The toy UI I have on top of it is the "Four Tube Vocal Tract Models of Vowels" from http://clas.mq.edu.au/acoustics/frequency/vocal_tract_resonance.html just to have an simple yet phonetically somewhat meaningful way of playing with it to get a rough idea of the wovel quality to be expected from such a model.

Andras