Resizing of subviews

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Resizing of subviews
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 17:11:02 +0100

While digging into a problem with the resizing of a text view inside a
scroll view, I did get the impression that our current implementation of
the resizing of sub views works only for a single sub view, that fills
out
all of its super view.
When a view gets its frame changed, all the sub views get a call to the
method resizeWithOldSuperviewSize: with the old size of the super view.
Now every sub view tries to resize itself to the full change of the
super view. If there are more than one sub view or if the sub view does
not
fill up the full size of its super view, that resizing will be to much.
(As can be seen by make a text view with restricted width inside of a
scroll view and making that scroll view first wide and than small
again.)
I would now recommend, that all the sub views will try to resize them
self proportional to their old size (relative to the old super view
size). This will give better results in a lot of cases, but will lead to
unused space if there are many sub views but only one of them is
resizeable in any way.

Are there any other ideas for that problem?

Fred