Re: NSProcessInfo on linux 2.2 vs 2.4

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSProcessInfo on linux 2.2 vs 2.4
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:35:48 +0100

On Thursday, April 12, 2001, at 06:04 PM, Karl Kraft wrote:

> I recently upgraded a local box to 2.4 for testing out GNUstep, and found > some problems with [NSProcessInfo arguments], namely that every program got
> an extra empty argument at the end.
>
> Before I could fix +[NSProcessInfo load], Richard patched it. However, this > new patch just causes the program to segfault, and the comment by Richard in > the ChangeLog is that the patch will no longer work on 2.2 kernels, which I
> expect I will still be supporting for the next three years.

Not at all ... the current code works fine on my 2.2 and 2.4 series kernels.
It certainly doesn't segfault.

It's just that, if on a 2.2 series system you pass an empty final argument, NSProcessInfo won't know about it. About the only time this has mattered to
me is when trying to set a user default to an empty string.

I think ideally we should have configure check the kernel version to allow
us to do a perfect job on both kernels though.