NSProcessInfo incompleteness

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: NSProcessInfo incompleteness
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 03:54:37 +0200

And once again ...

Just found out that

- (unsigned int)operatingSystem;
- (NSString *)operatingSystemName;

are missing from NSProcessInfo. I'm not sure if they're part of the OPENSTEP spec, but they are part of OS X Server 1.x and OS X 10.0.x. While I never found the first method usable at all, the second is usable by socket servers that like to give away some info of the host system. IMO the latter could be implemented as easy as this:

- (NSString *)operatingSystemName;
{
        NSString *env = [[NSProcessInfo processInfo] environment];
        NSString *str = [env objectForKey: @"GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU"];
        return str;
}

Probably with better error checking, although it'd be interesting what should be assumed as default if this info can't be found during runtime ... hm.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com