Re: Opaque fonts/colorspace. Quartz

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Opaque fonts/colorspace. Quartz
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:09:59 -0600

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
BALATON Zoltan wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

BALATON Zoltan wrote:

Sorry for the ignorance, but what particular information are you talking
about here?

Information dealing with generating glyphs from unicode characters and
positioning them:

According to the MacOS X docs NSFont has a bunch of methods for similar
purpose, see methods staring with positionOfGlyph: Couldn't these be used
to get the necessary information in the gui or am I missing something?

In theory, these might be able to do some of the work when laying out
glyphs, but I wouldn't count on it. Either way, they don't help in the
actual glyph generation (only(?) ligatures in western scripts; look at
the different examples of indic scripts for more advanced glyph
substitutions).

I might be missing something, but the backend should have two references to a font, one is the GSFontInfo subclass, which provides information to the front-end, and the second is the fontRef, which is really just a shortcut just for the backend, so it doesn't have to lookup it's own internal font references structure each time a font is set.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you