Re: [GSWHackers] Re: statistics

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [GSWHackers] Re: statistics
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:48:54 +0000 (GMT)

> I'm not sure who you meant by 'you'... but if you meant people in general...
> I'm sure most people know be my earlier posts, but to shed some more
> light... I'm working on makefiles and headers to build two seperate sets
> of GSWeb frameworks with clean namespaces. I already have a running
> version but I'll wait to submit it until I've got it's usability to be
> very easy, straight forward and configurable. This also depends on work
> that is currently being done by Nicola to support multiple
> FRAMEWORK_NAME entries in makefiles.

This might take some time before it's done.

You can still implement it without having the multiple FRAMEWORK_NAME
entries.  For example (untested code, just drafting to give an idea) -

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

gswnames = all

ifeq ($(gswnames),all)
FRAMEWORK_NAME =
all::
        @echo ""
        @echo "building the framework with GSW names..."
        @echo ""
        $(MAKE) gswnames=gsw
        @echo ""
        @echo "building the framework with GSW names..."
        @echo ""
        $(MAKE) gswnames=wo
else
  ifeq ($(gswnames),gsw)
    FRAMEWORK_NAME = NAME_A
  else
    ifeq ($(gswnames),wo)
      FRAMEWORK_NAME = NAME_B
    endif
  endif
endif

[... et cetera ...]

Please note that this is quite Ok :-) ... except it's going to be less
efficient than having support for multiple FRAMEWORK_NAMEs in gnustep-make
- but I don't think you should care as we're talking of little
inefficiencies.

You can also have it only at the top-level - if you have a single
top-level GNUmakefile which uses aggregate.make and SUBPROJECTS, it's much
simpler and nicer -

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

gswnames = all

ifeq ($(gswnames),all)

SUBPROJECTS =

all::
        @echo ""
        @echo "building the frameworks with GSW names..."
        @echo ""
        $(MAKE) gswnames=gsw
        @echo ""
        @echo "building the frameworks with GSW names..."
        @echo ""
        $(MAKE) gswnames=wo

else

SUBPROJECTS = FirstDir SecondDir ThirdDir
export gswnames

endif

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/aggregate.make

This is quite nicer.  I'd definitely suggest using this second way if you
can.