Re: Question about Layers...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Question about Layers...
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:12:42 +0000

On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 04:25  am, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

Chad Hardin wrote:

Right now my lightweight window manager NuVu has 5 possible layers
(lowest, low, middle, high, highest).  I recently noticed that OS Xs
window server can have 64K layers ( a 16bit number). Is this or do you
anticipate this many layers will be needed by gnustep?  It's an easy
fix, it would just involve a deeper level of pointers in the code so I
want to see if it's really necessary.

Well, 5 doesn't seem to be enough -- there were 7 defined layers in
NeXTstep/OPENSTEP, even though they also used a short int.

Top level: "spring-loaded" windows -- popups, pulldowns, right-click
menus.
Second level: Attention panels.
Third level: the main menu.
Fourth level: other menus.
Fifth level: the dock.
Sixth level: floating panels.
Seventh: all other windows.

I believe GNUstep adds a window level for things such as a desktop.

Also ... you are supposed to be able to set the level to any value including
the ones between the 'well known' ones ... so if you don't support those
values then some apps will not work as they are supposed to.
eg. a window which should appear above all normal panels but below the dock.