Object allocation

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Object allocation
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:15:26 +0100

I had a short look at the memory statistic panel last night and removed the top scorer in the total cloumn, NSInlineArray, by just caching one object in NSWindow. The next in line, GSRunLoopPerformer, could also be removed, though with a bit more effort. This could be changed from a class to a normal structure, which would than be managed by the GSIArray, similar to the PathElements of the NSBezierPath. This is a misuse of GSIArray, but works fine for paths already. As this is a rather deep change in base, I would like to hear other voices on it. I would also not be to surprosed to learn, that some of these GSRunLoopPerformers are not needed at all and could be removed by some other change. I remember there where fewer of them the last time I checked.

Next on the list, but far behind is GSNotification, here we could think about a pool implementation, as only a few are needed at one time.

As GNUstep still spends alot of the run time in memory management, these changes will surely have a noticable effect. I am not that sure about further optimisation, as using a pool for other classes as well.

Cheers
Fred