Bigger change to NSView

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Bigger change to NSView
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:39:08 +0100

Some days ago I hacked in some new Cocoa methods to NSView (e.g. isHidden). To fully support the functionality here, we need another ivar to store the value for this. As you know, this change will require, to recompile all libraries and applications using local subclasses of NSView. Which will result in almost everything needing a recompile.

As this is a big step, I don't want to do it for the upcoming release, but rather for the 0.9.3 release. Given that backward compatibility gets broken anyway, we could think about making a few deeper changes in other places as well. For NSView we could merge all the boolean ivars into a bit structure, I don't think that this is really needed, still if we want to do it, we should do it now. Another place high up in the class hierarchy that springs to my mind as needing a few more ivars is NSCell. It would be great, if we could do as much of such deep changes in one go, to save the trouble of recompilations for all the other releases.

Fred