Re: NSBrowser cleanup

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: NSBrowser cleanup
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:08:48 -0700 (PDT)

See below... again. :)

--- Serg Stoyan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Doing some fixes in NSBrowser I come up to idea that NSBrowser needs some
> reorganization. Let me explain what I mean.
>
> NSBrowser.m has 3 classes NSBrowserColumn,  GSBrowserTitleCell and NSBrowser
> itself.
> The idea is to sepearate classes location:
> - NSBrowser stays in NSBroser.m
> - NSBrowserColumn goes into AppKit/NSBrowserColumn.h  and
> Sources/NSBrowserColumn.m
> - change GSBrowserTitleCell name to NSBrowserTitleCell and put into
>   AppKit/NSBrowserTitleCell.h and Sources/NSBrowserTitleCell.m
>
> Notice that NSBrowserTitleCell.h and NSBrowserColumn.h can be installable or
> not. I've
> also noticed that GSBrowserTitleCell is used by NSFontPanel so it should be
> modified too.
> Is there any objections?
>
> I've done some formatting inside NSBrowser.m also. The basic principles of
> this formatting are:
>
> 1. Methods are placed in order specified in OpenStep specification.
>
> 2. Methods are grouped by activity prepending with comments in the form:
> //-------------
> // Acttivity group description as described in OpenStep specification
> //-------------
>
> 3. GNUstep additions should go in category with name "GNUstepAdditions".
> Example
> @implementetaion NSBrowser (GNUstepAdditions)
> // GNUstep specific methods go here
> @end
>
> 4. Cocoa additions should go in category with name "CocoaAdditions" (there's
> no Cocoa
>   specific code in NSBrowser, although).
>
> 5. Private method names should be prepended with "_" and go into category
> with name
> "Private".
>
> As a result it should make GNUstep code more maintainable and clean.
> Moreover, when
> documentation generated, we'll see GNUstep and Cocoa specific methods (if
> any) separated
> from OpenStep standard's methods. I think there are other classes that needs
> such cleanup.
>
> What do everybody think about adding such formatting rules info "Coding
> Style" section of
> "Coding Standarts" document?
>
> --
> Serg Stoyan

Also, please be certain that any changes you make are backwards compatible with
respect to previous encodings of this class in archive files.  i.e. If you make
a change that we modify a class name or make structural changes to the class
which will, in general effect how that class is encoded, you need to ensure
that previously encoded versions of this class will properly load since .gorm
files or other encoded files made prior to your change will break otherwise.

Thanks, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.