Re: Emacs on GNUstep

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Emacs on GNUstep
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:05:08 +0200

Adrian Robert wrote:
I've managed to get emacs compiled and running under GNUstep!

http://kamares.ucsd.edu/~arobert/GNUstep/emacs.html

NOTE: This is not production status.  It is usable and stable with
    my machine and usage, but there are outstanding issues.

I started with the version distributed as "Emacs On Aqua" at
http://emacs-on-aqua.sf.net .  This version traces its lineage back
to an original port to NeXTstep by Carl Edman, which was
successively modified for OpenStep, Rhapsody, and OS X, and updated
most recently to GNU emacs 20.7.

Compilation was not that bad; I just added a few GNUSTEP #ifdefs
here and there.  Getting things running smoothly was tougher.  I
encountered a number of issues with the GUI lib.  And I could only
get it running with the Xlib backend.  Emacs makes a number of tough
demands on the GNUstep environment, not least because it runs its
own event loop and graphical update management.  Nonetheless, this
shouldn't fundamentally conflict with GNUstep since it ran on all
the previous *steps (and was quite stable on NeXTstep in my own
experience).

I've listed at the end the issues I encountered, most of which I made
fixes for.  A patch against most recent CVS (just post-0.94) is
available on the web page.  It would be great if people with more
knowledge than myself could take a look at these.  We may want to
commit some (in polished form), and perhaps reject others.  There
are a number of cases where the Apple/OpenStep documentation is not
clear on something, but the existence of code in ns-emacs implies
that things in practice worked in a certain way.

First of all: I am impressed by the task you set yourself and how good GNUstep already seems to be fit for it, Although you had to help it a bit. :-)

I looked through the patch and most of the changes seem excellent to me. I am not that sure about the NSApplication window/menu update change. Perhaps we all should think about this. Other places that you suggest for cleanup surely need it. The timestamps for NSEvent are really a bit strange. Not sure about the resizing bit, but for setHiddenUntilMouseMoves I have a test and it works perfect there. BTW, all this code is shared between the different X backends (xlib, art, cairo), so the only specific problem you have with the xlib backend is that Courier is no fixed font.

Cheers
Fred