Re: GNUstep moving forward

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: GNUstep moving forward
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:40:12 +0100

Quoting Serg Stoyan <address@hidden>:

> On Monday 24 October 2005 21:40, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
> > Quoting Adrian Robert <address@hidden>:
> > > I strongly encourage you to think about working on Project Center.
> > > Much of the grunt work that you'll have to redo is already done, it has
> > > a nice clean interface so far, with plenty of scope for extension, and
> > > it's design is fundamentally familiar to Apple developers, so more
> > > widespread adoption is likely.  If you still want to explore making
> > > your own IDE for a while, please at least consider integrating some of
> > > your code into ProjectCenter at some point.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Adrian
> >
> > I know that extending ProjectCenter might be a nice and great way to reuse
> > it's code, but personally I'd like to redesign some of it's aspects from
> > grounds up and integrating those changes in PC would be basically redoing
> > much of it, introducing new bugs and a lot of headche than if I did it from
> > scratch.
> >
> > As for the editor: having interfaces to various user-configurable editors
> > is great, but it would be ok to have a usable one in the base package as
> > well... Just have something, extensions can be added later.
>
> All you mentioned before has already implemented in ProjectCenter or planned
> to be implemented. You can see in Documentaion/TODO file.
>
> I know I have to post new ProjectCenter development plans and current state.
> In short, now I've almost finished redesign bunle management (on-deman
> editor. Next week I'll be offline(business trip). After that I plan to commit
> changes to UNSTABLE_0_5 branch. Do you still have no time to see what the
> ProjectCenter is now?
>
> If you have working fast editor with features toy mentioned before I'll be
> glad to redesign ProjectCenter (if it would be sane) and integrate it.
>
> > That's my opinion.
>
> --
> Serg Stoyan

The code editor is rather fast (I know, I have a slow computer) and quite well
separated, basically just two classes: SourceEditorDocument and EditorTextView.
There is currently no support for code coloring, however, which is why it's
_just_ two classes. After I add support for that, it will be of course more.

As for work on PC: I'm sorry, but currently I want to continue PM. I plan to get
into a releasable 0.1 state within a week. 0.1 in my terms means: most of it is
implemented, though some bits here and there still remain, but what is
implemented should be already stable and not crash <- of course this is often
just a fantasy :-) But in order to make it mostly true, before releasing an
app, I reserve a day or two and "tease" it around - while running in a
debugger, I do stuff lots and lots of times repeatedly, do unexpected stuff, do
nonsence, and in general "try hard to crash it". :-) I learned this at work,
where thanks to that my apps don't segfault and throw out unexpected exceptions
anymore. Also following the KISS rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) helps a lot.

--
Saso