Re: Problems with automatic start of gdnc, gpbs, and gdomap on Linux...

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Problems with automatic start of gdnc, gpbs, and gdomap on Linux...
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:34:23 +0100

Hello,

On Monday, January 23, 2006, at 03:52 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

The subject basically says it.  When I log in, it's reporting that it had trouble starting gdnc.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Yes and no. On linux/x86 I just need to start gdomap. Once gdomap is started, the other daemons will start automatically and work fine. (If gdomap is not started before attempts to automatically start them are done, but results are often broken). I just put gdomap in my startup script of the X11 session. This is handy, since gdnc for remote displays needs to be started differently than local ones.

On other platforms, most notably BSD based ones, there are heavy troubles starting things automatically. Since I have now a NetBSD/x86 box I can exclude also "exotic" architectural problems. I confirm that on netbsd I need to start gdomap first, gdnc then. gpbs and others gets started fine. INterestingly, if gdnc is started automatically by an application it does start (as seen with ps -aux) but it doesn't seem to work and the application complains it can't contact gdnc.

-Riccardo