RE: configuration 'variables'

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: configuration 'variables'
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:29:38 +0200 (CEST)

> I was wondering whether it wouldn't make sense to make all the
> HAVE_xyz variables available that are defined during installation of
> GNUstep. That would make it easier to program without having to check
> first (again) whether GNUstep is compiled with, for example, pthread
> or libxml support.
>
> Since -make, -base and -gui already check for a whole slew of
> 'features' why not store those in /Library/.../base.make and
> .../gui.make (or somewhere else) as well?
>
> That would make the need of writing another configure script that
> checks for the same features again, or tons of ifeq(...) in
> GNUmakefile(s) obsolete.

... you must have some concrete examples in mind ...

... can you make those examples ? ;-)

I mean, eg, you're mentioning pthread support ... why would you want to know
that ?  libobjc wraps the local thread library ... maybe you just want to
know
if threads are available or not (if they're not available, calls to the
libobjc
thread functions might do nothing or bomb out) ? :-)

At the moment, there is the objc_threaded make variable that you can use
to determine which kind of threading is being used.  Not sure it's considered
public though.  Presumably we could clean it up, give it a public uppercase
name such as GNUSTEP_THREAD_TYPE and here you go ? ;-)

... would that help ?  Probably an example might help. :-)

Thanks