Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:50:17 +0000

On 12 Mar 2007, at 08:34, Xavier Glattard wrote:

Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer <at> gmx.de> writes:
(...)
3. Changes to GNUstep

mySTEP has a few correction and additions to methods that are already
implemented in GNUstep. We should try to extract as much of these as
possible. On the other hand have we fixed a lot of bugs in GNUstep since the fork. We don't want to loose these fixes. Quite often there are also two independent implementations of methods in GNUstep and mySTEP, so no
benefit may be gained by merging them.

This surely is the hardest case and should be done very carefully.
(...)

I guess NSApplication and NSRunLoop stuff are in this category.
I had a quick look in myStep with a diff tool (on NSApplication and
NSRunLoop)and it seems all has been rewritten... Is there anything to
extract ? Or should it be better not to change anything ?
I mean : is there any 'political' point of view about this part of
GNUstep ?

I don't know about NSApplication, but I agree that there is nothing to extract from myStep for NSRunLoop.

This is probably the case with a lot of classes because myStep was based on an old fork of GNUstep which had a lot of stuff (particularly code aimed at portability and efficiency) removed from it. So ... the source code of NSRunLoop in myStep is a lot smaller and simpler, but the code in GNUstep supports mswindows and runs faster and is scalable to support server processes with thousands of input sources on unix/linux (it's limited by the capacity of the wait for multiple objects api on windows).

I think what we need to concentrate on are the changes made by Dr Nikolaus Schaller .... where he has re-created code which was removed from GNUstep in the original fork (and the recreated code may be interesting) or has implemented new stuff added more recently by Apple. Unfortunately it's not clear to me how we can find out which classes he's improved other than by inspection of each file.

We also need to be careful about cross-platform portability. We ought to be able to enhance it by adding support for ARM processors from mySTEP, but I think that GNUstep is already more portable in that it's been targeted at a larger variety of processors and is 64bit-clean, (the fork on which myStep is based was certainly not 64bit clean or targetted at portability to different processors). This means that, while we should look for fixes for ARM portability to incorporate, we should not assume that myStep code is generally portable. I imagine it has been written with that intent, but it's not tested to the same degree across multiple machine/os combinations. In particular, it does not try to run on mswindows at all, so there are probably areas of code for which we need to write an mswindows implementation.