auto-gpbs-restart (was: Re: Ivar layout change)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: auto-gpbs-restart (was: Re: Ivar layout change)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:40:20 -0700

Fred Kiefer wrote:
I just moved a bunch of ivars from NSResponder to NSView. They never
should have been there in the first place, but now this is a big change,
as it requires that you recompile all of GNUstep and all your
applications. And don't forget to kill your gpbs daemon, I did :-)

As this seems to be a *constant* issue which recurs consistently on the mailing list, I'd like to propose an idea, and see if anyone has any legitimate opposition to its implementation...

If possible, why not make GPBS restart if its version/checksum/something has changed. This seems the logical user-friendly thing to do. Obviously, the mechanism by which it would be checked would need to be fast, but perhaps this can be done.

This idea isn't fully-fleshed out, it's just an off-the cuff one, so please feel free to tear it to shreds :)

Regards,
Alex Perez
Official GNUstep Lurker