GNUstep on OpenSuse 10.3

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: GNUstep on OpenSuse 10.3
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:28:37 +0100

Just updated my system to OpenSuse 10.3 and recompiled GNUstep. Here is
how far I could get up to now:

In base I get this (new?) warning messages:
Compiling file NSException.m ...
NSException.m:59: warning: ‘GSPrivateBaseAddress’ defined but not used
 NSPage.m:43:23: warning: linux/sys.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
(If you don't get this simple German, it say that the file cannot be found)

In gui the new gcc 4.2 found the following warnings, which I will
correct soon:
NSCell.m: In function ‘-[NSCell initWithCoder:]’:
NSCell.m:2473: warning: overflow in implicit constant conversion
tiff.m: In function ‘TiffHandleWrite’:
tiff.m:121: warning: comparison with string literal results in
unspecified behaviour
tiff.m: In function ‘TiffHandleSeek’:
tiff.m:148: warning: comparison with string literal results in
unspecified behaviour

At the moment I am having problems with the freetype library. It
complains that the system is including the old freetype 1 headers before
the freetype 2 ones. This causes the compilation of back to fail. But
the given reason seems wrong to me, as I don't have the old headers
installed any more. Most likely this is a problem with the wrong
freetype.h file installed by OpenSuse. As far as I can tell this is the
file from freetype 1 not the one from freetype2. In /usr/include Suse
has this old link: freetype -> freetype2/freetype/
                                                     and it looks like
they installed the old headers (which I did not request) over the new
ones. Reinstalling the freetype2-develop package solved the problem.
Most likely this is a very specific problem of my machine which has been
running various updates of Suse of more than 4 years now.

Now things are working and the art backend even looks fine. The cairo
backend is unbelievable slow, even for GNUstep standards. I am very
sure, it was a lot faster with my previous setup. In the xlib backend
all the fonts are almost twice as big as requested, again a problem I
didn't have before. I will be looking in all these issues.

We may add OpenSuse 10.3 onto our compatibility list, but should mark a
few limitations there as well.

Cheers,
Fred