Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:22:09 -0500

On Nov 10, 2007 5:48 PM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
Here you could help by testing and reporting the remaining problems.

I do, but for the past we weeks I haven't had my test computer up and running, and before that I had a known compilation issue with cairo version 1.4.9 (I had Debian Etch installed), so I had to use arts.  Like I said though, cairo is already really good and I consider it to be of beta quality, and try to use it instead of the art backend whenever I can.

That being said, I also, sometimes, hesitate before filing bugs because I want to make sure it's really a bug and not an issue with something I did (you'd be amazed how ofter that happens).  Either way, I'm going to have to reinstall Slackware sometime this week so that I can create packages for the latest stable releases anyway (I'll install the SVN version after I have the packages built).

Why this? What would be the benefit of this step from tiff to png?

TIFF is as good as dead at this point in time.  PNG is also a free (as in freedom) standard, which is the main reason why I think GNUstep should embrace it.  Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics#Comparison_with_TIFF

TIFF does have it's advantages, but the fact that almost no one uses it makes it a pain... for example, I can't get images I make with PhotoClip.app open at work because Windows doesn't have TIFF support.  So I have to make the TIFF with PhotoClip, then just to a terminal to convert it to PNG using ImageMagick.  It's no big deal, but I'd still like to just save it as PNG.

The make it the standard image file part was just an after thought thrown in there.

Stefan