Fwd: GPLv2 licensing issues

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Fwd: GPLv2 licensing issues
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:40:34 -0700

doh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Rice <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: GPLv2 licensing issues
To: Fred Kiefer <address@hidden>

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
 > I am still not sure whether this problem actually exists. As far as I
 > understand the GPL it only transfers to libraries that are statically linked
 > to it. GNUstep base, gui and back (normally) get linked dynamically and to
 > my understanding this should not cause any problem. But I surely am no
 > expert on this matter.

 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

 "If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the
 plug-ins are separate programs, so the license for the main program
 makes no requirements for them."

 >  It also may be different for the objc runtime, again not sure how you
 > normally link it in. And of course application linking with GPLv2 libraries
 > will need a detailed inspection.

 libobjc contains an exception

 /* As a special exception, if you link this library with files compiled with
   GCC to produce an executable, this does not cause the resulting executable
   to be covered by the GNU General Public License. This exception does not
   however invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be
   covered by the GNU General Public License.  */