Foreign Event Sources

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Foreign Event Sources
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:37:32 +0100

Hi,

I have been looking at the NSRunLoop class and its helpers and the documentation is a little bit spotty in places. There are three cases I have come across recently:

1) Wanting to handle X11 events in an NSRunLoop
2) Wanting to handle events coming from a file descriptor.
3) Wanting to handle events coming from an external (C) library's runloop implementation.

The first of these seems like it ought to be possible, since the X11 backends turn X11 events into NSEvents and so I ought to be able to wrap the others up.

The second ought to be efficient since there appears to be logic for using select or similar to see if there is data waiting from elsewhere.

The third ought to be possible by either spawning another thread using the foreign API's blocking mode and pass events into the main runloop, although this doesn't seem particularly efficient and so can't be used for things that require low latency, such as audio processing.

Is any of this documented somewhere?

David